Another quick substitutes so my vegan friends and enjoy my next project! Make your own sweetened condensed milk at home that is completely dairy free. This recipe comes from http://www.karissasvegankitchen.com and I tried it out with the coconut sugar it’s amazing and taste extra coconutty:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk*
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- In a pot on medium heat, bring the coconut milk and the sugar to a boil. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn’t boil over.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 40-45 minutes (until liquid is reduced by about half.)
- Stir or whisk every 5 minutes or so.
- Remove from heat and let cool (it will get even thicker as it cools.)
- Store in fridge for up to 10 days.
*Light coconut milk or coconut milk in a carton will not work for this recipe.**Coconut sugar or maple syrup will also work with this recipe in the same amount – the color will be darker, however. This recipe makes about 3/4 cups of sweetened condensed coconut milk.