It’s that time of the year start getting ready for the Halloween season, pumpkin spice, pumpkin pie, pumpkin latte etc, most of all pumpkins!!! Depending on if you like carving or keep your pumpkins whole at some point you can use the seeds and what better to do than roasted them. Here are a few more recipes to spice up your Halloween season:
To remove seeds from the pumpkin, scoop out the seeds with a spoon or by using your fingers. Then discard any bits of stringy pulp before placing pumpkin seeds into a colander and giving them a good rinse.
In a pinch, you can toast pumpkin seeds in the microwave by heating them in a single layer on a glass baking dish or pie plate. Microwave pumpkin seeds for about 2 minutes and stir. Heat again for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring after each minute, until the seeds are lightly browned and crunchy.
- 2 medium pumpkins
- Large spoon or pumpkin scoop
- Rimmed baking sheet
- Seasonings of your choice
How to Roast Pumpkin Seeds:
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scoop out the seeds from two medium-sized pumpkins (about two cups).
- Place the seeds in a colander and rinse with cold water, working to separate the seeds from the pumpkin guts.
- Pat seeds dry.
- Spread the seeds on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake seeds until dry throughout, about 50 to 60 minutes. Remove baking sheet from the oven, then raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Transfer the seeds to a bowl, add your choice of flavorings below, then return seeds to the baking sheet and roast 10 to 15 more minutes, or until golden.
Salted Honey Pumpkin Seeds
Toss the seeds with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, then stir in 2 tablespoons honey and 1 teaspoon salt. Before returning the seeds to the baking sheet, line it with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray (this will help prevent the honey from sticking).
Maple-Mocha Pumpkin Seeds
Toss the seeds with 2 tablespoons coconut oil and 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, then stir in 1 tablespoon coffee grounds, 1 tablespoon cocoa powder, ½ tablespoon granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Gingerbread Pumpkin Seeds
Toss the seeds with 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter, then stir in 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ½ teaspoon allspice, ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon ground cloves.
Chili-Lime Pumpkin Seeds
Toss the seeds with 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, then stir in 2 tablespoons lime zest, two tablespoons freshly-squeezed lime juice, ½ tablespoon chili powder, and ¼ teaspoon salt.
Rosemary-Parmesan Pumpkin Seeds
In a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese, and ½ teaspoon garlic powder. Pour over seeds, toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Curry-Sriracha Pumpkin Seeds
Toss the seeds with 2 tablespoons Sriracha and 2 tablespoons sesame oil, then stir in 1 teaspoon curry powder and ½ teaspoon smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Sweet-and-Salty Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 cups fresh pumpkin seeds (from 2 medium pumpkins), rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 300°F. Spread the pumpkin seeds on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until dry throughout, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°F. In a large bowl, toss the pumpkin seeds with the butter, sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Return the seeds to the baking sheet and toast, tossing occasionally, until golden brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
Spiced Pumpkin Seeds
- seeds from 2 medium pumpkins
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat oven to 300° F.
- Remove the seeds from the pumpkins. Discard the pulp.
- Spread the seeds (no need to rinse them) evenly on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until dried, about 1 hour.
- Toss the seeds, olive oil, celery salt, and cumin in a large skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, until the seeds are lightly toasted, about 3 minutes.