Another recipe for beignets but this time cinnamon sugar instead of powdered sugar, thanks to http://www.neworleansschoolofcooking:
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (95°F to 100°F)
1/2 cup milk powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
Vegetable oil, for frying
1/2 cup Cajun Power Sweet Treat Cinnamon Sugar
- Add flour, sugar, salt and yeast to the bowl of an electric mixer. Whisk to combine. Place bowl on mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Add warm water,milk powder, egg and butter. Mix on medium speed until the mixture forms a smooth dough, about 4 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the
refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- Once risen, divide the dough in half and roll out on a lightly floured work surface to about 1/4″-thick. Cut the dough into 2″ squares. You can use heart-shaped, “x”, or “o” cookie cutters to cut your dough.
- Meanwhile, heat 3” of oil to 350°F in a medium pot. Fry dough in batches, turning once, until puffed and golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined tray and cool slightly.
- Place cinnamon sugar in a shallow bowl. Coat warm beignets in cinnamon sugar. Serve immediately.