Goat cheese as a fried treat well that’s a new twist! Try making some fresh goat cheese and to try out this recipe fried honey cheese balls you will never go back to a mozzarella stick:
- 10-ounces fresh goat cheese, rolled into a log and chilled solid
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 1 cup club soda
- 3/4 cup flour (any flour should work)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- Sea salt
- 3 cups breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying
- Chopped and roasted pistachios
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Cut the log of cheese into 16 slices. Roll these slices into balls.
- Place the balls onto a parchment-lined baking sheet or platter and chill in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- In a small glass bowl, whisk together egg and club soda. Gradually whisk in flour and cornstarch until well-combined with no lumps. Season mixture lightly with salt.
- Spread breadcrumbs in a shallow dish.
- Remove chilled goat cheese balls from refrigerator. Dip balls in the egg mixture, letting it drip off for a few seconds; dredge balls in breadcrumbs. Do this with each ball as many times as it takes to completely coat them.
- Place the breaded balls back onto the parchment-lined platter or baking sheet and place them in the freezer just long enough to make them firm, no longer than 15 minutes.
- In a large pot, heat about 2 inches oil over medium-high heat, to 375°F. Fry coated cheese balls just long enough to make them lightly golden brown and crisp. Using a metal slotted spoon, remove balls from oil and place on a paper-towel-lined plate to drain and cool for a few minutes.
- Transfer the balls to a serving platter, drizzle with honey, sprinkle with pistachios and pepper, and serve hot.