So who doesn’t have eggnog for Christmas either homemade family recipe or from a bottled mixed! Well here are two recipes to try out and maybe compare to your eggnog? One recipe is from http://www.neworleansschoolofcooking.com and another one a recipe my brother in law makes every year:
Southern Egg Nog
3 cups sugar
12 egg yolks
1 qt. whiskey
1 qt. heavy cream
1 tablespooon of Sweet Treat
Mix 3 cups of sugar and 1 tablespoon of sweet treat with yolks of 12 eggs. Drip a quart of Kentucky whiskey into the mixture, stirring slowly and constantly. Whip one quart of heavy cream stiff and stir into whiskey mixture. Pour into glasses and sprinkle with nutmeg.
6 large egg yolks
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup heavy whipping cream
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
ground cinnamon , for topping
- Beat the egg whites and sugar in a separate bowl until you get stiff peaks.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir often until mixture reaches a bare simmer.
- Add a big spoonful of the hot milk to the egg mixture, whisking vigorously. Repeat, adding a big spoonful at a time, to temper the eggs.
- Once most of the hot milk has been added to the eggs, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Whisk constantly for just a few minutes, until the mixture is just slightly thickened (or until it reaches about 160 degrees F on a thermometer). It will thicken more as it cools.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the eggnog into a pitcher or other container and cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate until chilled. It will thicken as it cools. If you want a thinner, completely smooth consistency, you can add the entire mixture to a blender with 1 or 2 tablespoons of milk and blend until smooth.
- Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon, and fresh whipped cream, store homemade eggnog in the fridge for up to one week.
And if you already have too many other things to make for tonight there is always the ready made mix from any grocery store trader joe’s being one of them!