It’s not Christmas Time without gingerbread cookies and the kids love decorating them just as much as they love eating them! And it’s not only gingerbread men, any Christmas cookie cutter will work but we do like biting the heads off the gingerbread men. Check out the recipe from http://www.michaels.com and you can pick up lots of cool cookie cutters:
- ¾ C. Unsalted (Softened) Butter
- ¾ C. Packed Brown Sugar
- 2/3 C. Molasses
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 3¼ C. All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp. Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp. Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- ½ Tsp. Ground Cloves
- ½ Tsp. Kosher Salt
- ¼ Tsp. Nutmeg
1. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, beat softened butter, packed brown sugar and molasses until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk flour, spices, baking soda and salt until combined. With the mixer on low, gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until dough just comes together. (Do not over mix).
3. Divide dough in half and create two discs. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill until firm, about 2 hours.
4. Preheat oven to 350° and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Place one disc of dough on a lightly floured surface and roll until ¼” thick.
5. Dip the cookie cutters with flour and cut shapes. Transfer to baking sheets.
6. Bake until slightly puffed and set, 9-10 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7. Repeat with remaining disc of dough.
8. Fill piping bag with #2 round tip and royal icing. Pipe various designs onto cookies to decorate.