Have you ever wondered what is vegan bacon well here you go! http://www.loveandlemons.com solved the mystery for you with these 3 recipes:
- 8 ounces tempeh, sliced crosswise into thin strips, steamed according to this recipe
- ¼ cup tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Heaping ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Make tempeh bacon: Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the steamed tempeh in an 8×8 or similarly sized baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, cumin, paprika, and sprinkles of pepper. Pour the marinade over the tempeh and set aside for 15 minutes. Layer the tempeh strips onto the baking sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and charred around the edges. Remove and let cool on the pan for 10 minutes. If desired, make “bacon bits” by using your hands to crumble the crispy tempeh into bits.
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari
- Make shiitake bacon: Preheat the oven to 300°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a damp cloth to wipe the mushrooms clean (if you wash them in water, they will not become crisp in the oven). Stem and slice the mushrooms, place on the baking sheet, and toss with the olive oil and tamari until well coated. Spread in an even layer on the pan and bake 30 to 40 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the mushrooms are shriveled up and crispy.
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¾ tablespoon tamari
- Scant ½ tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Make coconut bacon: Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the coconut flakes, tamari, maple syrup, and smoked paprika on the pan and toss gently to coat. Spread in a thin layer on the pan and bake until dark golden brown and slightly crispy, about 6 to 10 minute. Watch carefully, oven temperatures may vary and the coconut flakes can burn quickly.