Who doesn’t love carrot cake and now as a donut, it’s the best of both worlds! Another recipe I found at World Market and who could not go for a sweet donut at home right now:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup grated carrot
2 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1 cup powdered sugar
1-2 tbsp maple syrup
1-2 tbsp coconut milk
orange and green sprinkles
1. Heat oven to 350° F. Prep two donut pans by lightly oiling the wells. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugars, baking powder, spices and salt. In a separate bowl whisk together the egg, milk, oil and vanilla. Pour into the dry ingredients and mix until no more flour streaks remain. Fold in the shredded carrots.
3. Divide the batter between the prepped donut pans. Bake for 10–12 minutes or until the donuts spring back when pressed lightly. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then carefully remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
4. Once the donuts are completely cool, make the icing.
5. In a small bowl, whisk together the icing ingredients starting with one tablespoon of maple syrup and coconut milk. If a thinner icing is desired, add more milk and syrup. If a thicker icing is desired, add more powdered sugar.
6. Dip the donuts in the icing one at a time, then decorate with sprinkles. Serve immediately.
7. Keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for a day or two if not serving immediately. The icing doesn’t firm up so you can always keep the donuts unfrosted if not eating immediately, and frost and decorate before serving.