- 1 tablespoon kefir grains
- 1 quart fresh cream
- Use 2 quart mason jar.
- Pour cream in jar and add kefir grains, cover.
- Allow to ferment for 24 hours.
- Remove kefir grains with a wooden or plastic spoon to strain out.
- Shake the jar for 5-10 mins until you see butter clumps and buttermilk separating.
- Strain out clumps of butter and submerge in ice water bath.
- Squeeze the butter clump to get the excess buttermilk out, put back in the ice bath.
- Put in a crock, unsalted butter can be in refrigerator for 3 weeks.